Doug's MCI 102C3 Project

The pictures are arranged with the most recent at the top of the page

to see the progress, start at the bottom of the page and work up.




08/11/09

Painting and installation of new windows.

Bus Bus Bus Bus Bus
Bus Bus Bus Bus Bus
Bus Bus Bus Bus Bus
Bus Bus Bus Bus Bus
Bus Bus Bus Bus Bus
Bus Bus Bus Bus Bus
Bus Bus Bus Bus Bus
Bus Bus Bus Bus Bus
Bus Bus Bus Bus Bus
Bus Bus Bus Bus Bus
Bus Bus Bus Bus Bus
Bus Bus Bus Bus Bus

 

 

05/28/09

Insulated roof, front and rear caps and some floor areas with closed cell spray foam.




Bus Bus Bus Bus Bus
Bus Bus Bus Bus Bus
Bus Bus Bus Bus Bus

 

 

03/27/09

Installed generator in first bay, radiator,blowers and electrical accessories in the AC condenser bay and a 110 gal fuel tank in location of old heat and AC coils and house blowers

Bus Bus Bus Bus Bus
Bus Bus Bus Bus Bus
Bus Bus Bus Bus Bus
Bus Bus Bus Bus Bus
Bus Bus Bus Bus Bus
Bus Bus Bus Bus Bus
Bus Bus Bus

 

 

01/21/09

In December and January we replaced the shocks, airbags, wheel bearings,radius arm bushings, wheel studs and lug nuts, air dryer and a few brake parts.




Bus Bus Bus Bus Bus
Bus Bus Bus Bus Bus
Bus

 

 

10/26/08

After the outside was mostly put back together we removed the plywood floor and seat rails, finished the ceiling framing, removed the factory AC components and installed a roof exhaust fan




Bus Bus Bus Bus Bus
Bus Bus Bus Bus Bus
Bus Bus

 

06/04/08

Installed molding on baggage doors, painted roof and installed roof top units.




Bus Bus Bus Bus Bus
Bus Bus Bus Bus Bus

 

05/20/08

With the new siding installed, we did the permanent installation of the front and rear caps, installed drip edge and new side moldings and bus was prepped and primed and old windows were temporarily reinstalled.




Bus Bus Bus Bus Bus
Bus Bus Bus Bus Bus
Bus Bus Bus Bus Bus
Bus Bus Bus Bus Bus
Bus Bus Bus Bus Bus
Bus Bus Bus Bus

 

04/23/08

We insulated the lower side walls with R7 1 1/2" foam and installed 18ga Galvanealed steel siding. So we would end up with smooth sides without exposed rivets the siding was plug welded at 4'oc and then ground and filled.




Bus Bus Bus Bus Bus
Bus Bus Bus Bus Bus
Bus Bus Bus Bus Bus
Bus Bus Bus    

 

We fitted the new front and rear caps and added framing above the windshield to tie everything back together. This also serves as interior framing for a 32" tv.




Bus Bus Bus Bus Bus
Bus Bus Bus Bus Bus
Bus Bus Bus Bus Bus

 

The original plan was to take out the windows, raise the roof, leave the factory skin below the windows. When we removed the windows we discovered substantial rust on the steel frame below a couple of windows on each side as well as some rust on the outer skin in the same area. The decision was made to remove and replace the outer skin down to the floor line which would provide the opportunity to fix any hidden structural problems that the rust may have caused. We replaced and added steel in the problem areas as well as framed for all new windows.




Bus Bus Bus Bus Bus
Bus Bus Bus Bus Bus
Bus Bus Bus Bus Bus
Bus Bus Bus Bus Bus
Bus Bus Bus Bus Bus

 

I decided to raise the roof 8" and move the windows all the way up to allow more height from the floor to the bottom of the windows. I also liked the idea of being able to see out of the windows while standing inside without bending over. With the windows now removed we used steel I beams extending through the window openings below the roof, and used port-a-powers to evenly jack up the roof. We used guides made of angle iron at the corners to ensure that the roof did not move from side to side or front to back. 8" pieces of tubing were welded in to support the roof.




Bus Bus Bus Bus Bus
Bus Bus Bus Bus Bus
Bus Bus      

 

With the help of my father-in-law we removed the front and rear caps, old windows and aluminum skin to get ready to raise the roof.




Bus Bus Bus Bus Bus
Bus Bus Bus Bus Bus
Bus Bus Bus Bus Bus
Bus Bus Bus Bus Bus
Bus Bus Bus Bus Bus
Bus Bus Bus Bus Bus
Bus Bus Bus Bus Bus
Bus Bus

 

In late January of 2008 there was finally time to continue work on the bus, which had sat outside for over a year. During that year I had decided that I was going to raise the roof even though I had originally not planned to and had already re-skinned over the removed windows. We began to remove the ceiling panels, rear bulkhead and got ready to remove the front and rear caps.




Bus Bus Bus Bus Bus
Bus Bus Bus Bus Bus

 

We started removing some of the remaining interior items and the holding tank for the restroom which was a little tough. We have a large shop where we build commercial cabinetry but we were only able to get the bus in on the weekends to avoid getting in the way of production. Most of my extra time during the winter and summer of 2007 was spent on a building project so there was little progress made on the bus.




Bus Bus Bus Bus Bus
Bus Bus Bus Bus Bus
Bus Bus Bus Bus Bus

 

Our bus is a 1992 MCI 102C3 with a Detroit 6V92 and Allison HT740. I bought the bus in October 2006 at Easter Bus Sales in Bassett, VA. I am not sure if I would buy from them again but since this is my first bus I had no other bus buying experience for comparison. My wife and I spent a couple of days there and looked at and drove a lot of busses. I was concerned about buying a bus from the east coast, but I looked this one over quite carefully for rust and other problems and finally made a deal. While in Virginia the seats, overhead racks and most of the restroom were removed. Also several of the windows were removed and skinned with aluminum. Below are a few pictures of the bus as it was when we bought it and the drive back home to northeastern Oklahoma.




Bus Bus Bus Bus Bus
Bus Bus Bus Bus Bus
Bus Bus Bus Bus Bus
Bus Bus Bus